Woman dies in head-on collision on I-70
June 16, 2016
A Denver woman died Wednesday evening following a head-on collision on Interstate 70. Brianna Martz, 29, was sitting in the passenger seat of her friend's Mercedes C350, traveling westbound near mile marker 193, just west of Copper Mountain. Around 11:15 p.m., a black Audi A4 traveling the wrong direction struck the Mercedes head-on, a Colorado State Patrol public information officer reported.
The two vehicles collided head-on, rotated, and the Mercedes went off the road while the Audi was blocking the leftmost lane. Martz died after the crash, and the driver of the Mercedes was transported to St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center with serious injuries. The driver of the Audi, 23-year-old Sebastian Rivera of Golden, was also transported with serious injuries.
State Patrol noted alcohol is suspected in the crash. The Summit County Coroner's Office reported the manner of death is accidental and the cause of death is pending autopsy.
Martz, originally from West Bend, Wisconsin, was a pediatric emergency nurse at Sky Ridge Medical Center in Lone Tree. She had studied nursing at the University of Wisconsin.
Trending In: Crime
- Frisco child pornography suspect granted new trial nearly three years after arrest
- Frisco man accused in child pornography case claims email was hacked
- Tyler Gorrell, a 33-year-old Denver resident, is missing in Silverthorne’s backcountry
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Homeland Security: 500 ‘notable’ files found on Frisco man’s computer in child porn case
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs