Woman who led Greeley police, other officers on high speed chase apparently dead at scene in Brighton | SummitDaily.com

Woman who led Greeley police, other officers on high speed chase apparently dead at scene in Brighton

A red pickup truck sits in the median with an armored car from Greeley parked next to it on Wednesday north of Brighton. The truck was being chased by several law enforcement agencies down U.S 85 before it crashed and was surrounded by police.
Joshua Polson/jpolson@greeleytribune.com | The Greeley Tribune

The woman who led Greeley police and a host of other law enforcement officers on a high speed chase through most of Weld County apparently has killed herself, according to Greeley police chief Jerry Garner.

The chase began Wednesday morning after Greeley police received a tip that a woman who was wanted in connection with the death of her husband in Grand Junction was in the Greeley area. Officers encountered her in the area of 35th Avenue and 4th Street, and she fled.

She led police — including Greeley officers, Weld County sheriff’s deputies and Colorado State Patrol — on a high speed chase south on U.S. 85 Bypass through Weld County. It ended near Brighton when the woman was involved in a crash. The woman remained in her vehicle and officers surrounded it. The SWAT team was activated and called to the scene, Garner said.

Greeley police initially got a teletype from a Mesa County warrant for the arrest of a woman who was involved in a homicide and considered armed and dangerous. Police went to the location where they thought she might be in the 300 block of 35th Avenue. That’s when she fled, about 10 a.m., according to Greeley police spokesman Joe Tymkowych.

The chase went north to O street then east to U.S. 85, and then south to Brighton.

Tymkowych said officers did fire some non-lethal beanbag rounds into the pickup truck, but he did not believe any other rounds. When SWAT officers approached the vehicle they discovered the woman’s body about 11 a.m. Tymkowych said.

Garner said as officers had the vehicle surrounded the woman apparently shot herself and was dead on the scene.

Authorities did not immediately provide details about the killing in Grand Junction, however, The Daily Sentinel there reported Wednesday morning that Barbara Ann Blanton-Marez, 39, was named a person of interest in the death investigation. She married Lawrence Marez in March 2014.

Lawrence Marez, 50, of Grand Junction, was the man who was found dead Monday afternoon.

Authorities closed U.S. 85 about 10:30 a.m. at Weld County Road 2 because of the police activity. The Colorado Department of Transportation did not say when the highway would reopen.

No other details were immediately available.

This is an ongoing story, and this report will be updated. Check back to http://www.greeleytribune.com for more details as they become available.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User