CU regents approve tuition increase | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

CU regents approve tuition increase

BOULDER – University of Colorado regents voted Thursday to approve tuition that amounts to a 14.6 percent hike for most students on the Boulder campus next year.Regent Tom Lucero was the lone dissenter, saying the university has a “moral obligation” to keep higher education affordable for Colorado families.”I’m not ready to take the public out of public education,” Lucero said before the vote.”None of us are happy about the tuition increases,” Regent Michael Carrigan said in response to Lucero. “It doesn’t help anyone to grandstand. We agree with you.”Most in-state students on the Boulder campus will pay $665 more in tuition next year, though their total bills will be affected by the number of credit hours they take, family incomes and their degree tracks.The state requires that tuition increases for financially needy students be capped at 5 percent. University budget officials project the cap will cover about 40 percent of in-state students at the Boulder campus.The remaining 60 percent of in-state students would receive $100 in financial aid.To qualify as “financially needy,” the maximum annual income for a family of four is about $75,000, said Robert Moore, CU’s vice president for budget and finance.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User