Denver doctors say 11-month-old boy’s deadly heart condition was likely related to marijuana
An 11-month-old Colorado boy’s death from a heart condition was likely related to ingestion of marijuana, two Denver doctors have concluded, but the precise link remains unclear.
The boy’s death was first reported in a study published last year about kids’ emergency room visits following marijuana legalization. The boy, who was not identified in that study, arrived at the hospital unresponsive and with a rapid heart beat, and he later went into cardiac arrest and died. He had no known history of health problems.
The boy tested positive for THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana. But, at the time, the researcher on the original study said he was unsure whether that was related to the boy’s death.
But, in a different case report published this year, two doctors from the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center reveal more information about the boy’s death, while drawing a more direct line between his heart condition and the THC in his system.
“As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis exposure,” the authors, Drs. Thomas Nappe and Christoper Hoyte, write in the case report. The report was published online in March in a journal connected to the Western Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.