Faulty furnace sparks Blue River explosion | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Faulty furnace sparks Blue River explosion

ASHLEY DICKSONsummit daily newsSummit County, CO Colorado

BLUE RIVER Problems with a gas furnace or fireplace are blamed for a house explosion that lit up the night sky in Blue River, authorities said Thursday.We were able to determine that it was unintentional, and now it has been handed over to the insurance company, said Capt. Kim Scott, spokeswoman for the Red, White and Blue Fire Department. Luckily, no one was in the house at the time, and no one was hurt.Firefighters from Red, White and Blue Fire and Lake Dillon Fire and Rescue could not save the home after the explosion at about 7 p.m. Wednesday When our crew got to the house, the flames were almost 60-feet high, Scott said. It took over three hours to knock down all the flames.The explosion left little in its wake, and the smoldering remains looked like a set of Lincoln Logs scattered across the property. Built in 1985, the log cabin-style home is valued at $521,194 and is owned by Leo and Kitty Smith of Parker.They could not be reached for comment on Thursday. Although the blaze singed the branches of the trees surrounding the home, firefighters were able to contain the fire so it did not spread into the forest. We took up defensive operations the moment we arrived, Red, White & Blue Fire Chief Lori Miller said. No other structures in the area were effected.Because Blue River has no municipal water supply, the Colorado State Patrol temporarily shut down Highway 9 between Boreas Pass and Hoosier Pass, as fire engines brought in over 20 loads of water from the Breckenridge Ski and Racket Club.It was an amazing response from Red, White & Blue, said neighbor Dan Radgowski, whose home shook from the force of the blast. It was pretty cool.A tenant living in a studio apartment above the homes detached garage was home at the time of the blast, but he was able to get to safety before flames consumed the structure. We ran over there screaming to see if everyone was all right, neighbor Dan Radgowski said. The whole wall was blown out 20-feet, and then the roof was blown straight up in the air and then came down on top of it. It was ridiculous.Fire authorities are still investigating the exact cause of the explosion, but it is not uncommon to find fuel leaks in furnaces that go unused for extended periods of time. Red, White & Blue would like to encourage our residents to make sure your appliances are regularly maintained and in good working order, Fire Marshal Jay Nelson said, adding that owners of vacation homes should pay special attention to furnace pilot lights and propane tanks.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User