Fire departments offer holiday safety tips | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire departments offer holiday safety tips

SUMMIT COUNTY – Summit County fire departments are warning against the dangers of fires caused by Christmas trees in the home.Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue and Snake River Fire Department offer these suggestions to keep your family and home safe during the holiday season:– A tree should not lose green needles when you tap it on the ground;– Cut one inch off the trunk to help absorb water;– The stand should hold at least one gallon of water;– Check the water level every day;– Keep tree away from floor heaters, fireplaces, or other heat sources;– Turn off the tree lights at night, or when you leave the house;– Never use candles, even on artificial trees;– Never burn a tree in the fireplace;– Secure the tree with wire to keep it from tipping and– Use only UL-listed lights and no more than three strands linked together.The departments also recommend purchasing an artificial tree, which is much safer and cleaner than a real tree. The Red, White and Blue Fire District and The National Fire Protection Association urged the importance of testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they’re in working order and reminded that smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User