Firefighters douse two fires in one day | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Firefighters douse two fires in one day

by Jane Stebbins

BRECKENRIDGE – Quick responses on behalf of citizens Sunday night helped prevent the spread of fire in a restaurant under renovation in Breckenridge.

According to Kim O’Brien, public information officer for the Red, White and Blue Fire Department, a passerby saw light smoke emanating from Pastinis, at 204 S. Main St., and notified Kate Schmidt, an employee next door at Creatures Great and Small, who called 911.

“From what they said, if it had been another 10 or 15 minutes, it could have been a big fire,” said Creatures owner Scott Magnuson.

Damage to the building was slight, O’Brien said. The cause of the fire is believed to have been a cigarette butt tossed into a trash can filled with sawdust. It apparently had been smoldering since Saturday.

Firefighters and others from the Sheriff’s Department and U.S. Forest Service also doused a fire about a mile east of Tiger Run Resort on the Colorado Trail Sunday. A passerby noticed smoke rising above the trees after a lightning storm and reported the fire.

Crews hiked into the area and extinguished the fire that burned about 90 square feet of grass.

Jane Stebbins can be reached at 668-3998 ext. 228 or jstebbins@summitdaily.com.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User