Firefighters save Wildernest condo in quick response | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Firefighters save Wildernest condo in quick response

REID WILLIAMSsummit daily news
Special to the Daily Firefighters suspect cardboard boxes left in front of this Salt Lick condo gas fireplace caused a fire Saturday morning. No one was in the unit, and firefighters were able to contain the damage.
ALL |

WILDERNEST – Firefighters stopped a potentially catastrophic fire in the nick of time Saturday, with the help of some quick-thinking Wildernest residents.

Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Rachel Flood said an engine crew already happened to be on the road when a fire alarm alerted dispatchers to danger at the Salt Lick condominium complex on Ryan Gulch Road. The firefighters were able to reach the unit in eight minutes, and when they arrived, they found nearly 30 residents had evacuated the building on their own.”They did great,” Flood said. “They followed procedure when they heard the fire alarm, and everyone did what they should have.”

Flood said that no smoke or flames were visible from the front of the building, but a lone firefighter who scouted out the back side of the complex spotted flames. The crew entered from both sides, located the unit and extinguished the fire.It appears the fire started because of cardboard boxes placed in front of the condo’s gas fireplace, Flood said. Flames spread from the boxes to the mantle, and the ceiling and wall were in danger of combusting when firefighters made their entry, she said.

The unit was unoccupied, Flood said, and the fire department is attempting to contact the new owners.”It’s kind of an eye-opener,” Flood said. “You might not think the boxes in front of the fireplace would be dangerous because it’s off. But the pilot light is on.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User