Grand Junction predator headed back to prison |

Grand Junction predator headed back to prison

grand junction correspondent

GRAND JUNCTION ” Grand Junction’s first known sexually violent predator is headed back to state prison, but could be a free man by July.

Tommy Lance Wilkerson, 34, had his parole revoked on Feb. 8 during a hearing

before the state’s parole board in Grand Junction ” this following his arrest by state officials on Jan. 12.

Colorado Department of Corrections spokeswoman Alison Morgan said Wilkerson’s estimated release date from prison is now mid-July.

Wilkerson on Tuesday was still being held without bond at the Mesa County Jail, awaiting transport to the state system’s Denver diagnostics facility for evaluation on where he’ll serve his remaining five months.

“When he’s discharged, he won’t have parole supervision,” Morgan said. “He’ll have fulfilled his obligation to the state.”

However, Wilkerson’s tag, sexually violent predator, will still follow him in whichever community he lands for the rest of his life, she added.

Lori Wilkins, a Grand Junction police services technician who monitors the city’s registered sex offenders, said in her interviews with Wilkerson that he said he didn’t plan on returning to Grand Junction.

An SVP who’s served his or her time in prison would be required to register with the local department ” state prison officials notify local authorities about that person’s plans to move in. A community notification meeting would be planned as required by state law when SVP’s arrive.

WIlkerson’s arrest on Jan. 12 came the day after he was the focus of a community notification meeting, organized by Grand Junction police and televised live at Grand Junction City Hall.

Wilkerson was Grand Junction’s first known SVP ” at the time, he was one of 39 registered with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. The agency considers SVPs the highest-risk category of sex offenders in Colorado.

According to allegations in Wilkerson’s parole violation case, he attempted to call his 15-year-old daughter on her cellular phone on Jan. 2 and Jan. 9. WIlkerson’s parole plan prohibited contact with any children under 18 years, including his own, unless the contact was approved in advance by parole authorities.

But Wilkerson, who had been living in Grand Junction’s Rescue Mission, wasn’t taken into custody until Jan. 12, after parole authorities searched his apartment there.

Weapons were recovered, including two “half-moon shaped jagged edge blades attached by black electrical tape to long wooden handles,” according to parole records.

Wilkerson’s treatment, under the guidance of Dr. William Steele at Psych Options, 752 Rood Ave., was terminated “unsuccessfully” that same day.

According to Morgan, Wilkerson was paroled from state prison to Grand Junction on Oct. 10, but stayed incarcerated at Mesa County Jail until Dec. 15 when a parole plan was finalized and he was allowed to live at the Rescue Mission.

Wilkerson first entered Colorado’s prison system in 1993 on a second-degree sex assault conviction from Montezuma County. He was released May 1998.

Wilkerson returned to prison in July 2000 following a conviction on attempted third-degree sex assault charges in La Plata County.

Initially sentenced to six years, Wilkerson’s sentence in 2005 was reduced to two by the trial court in La Plata County.

According to Grand Junction police, his victims included females ages 13, 15 and 19.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.