Holiday Fund aids Salvation Army | SummitDaily.com

Holiday Fund aids Salvation Army

JENNIFER HARPERsummit daily news

Summit Daily/Kristin Skvorc

SUMMIT COUNTY – The next time you avert your eyes from one of the bell ringers standing outside City Market, think about all of the people in need who benefit from the change in those kettles.The Summit Daily News is doing its part to help out the Salvation Army’s Kettle Drive this holiday season. The Salvation Army is one of the beneficiaries of the Summit Daily’s Holiday Fund, a fundraising campaign that helps nonprofits and other good causes do their work in the community during the holiday season.Sue Gruber, chairperson for the Salvation Army Extension Service in Summit County, is also doing her part for the Kettle Drive by ringing a bell at City Market in Dillon.

“After 5 (p.m.) it gets really cold,” she said. “Some days are really miserable out there, but it’s really worthwhile.”The Salvation Army gets 10 percent of donations to cover its administrative cost, while the remaining 90 percent goes directly to the community.All of the nickels, dimes, quarters and dollars Gruber and other volunteers collect during their two-hour shifts in front of both City Market locations, Wal-Mart and Safeway will provide emergency assistance to local families and individuals.”The most often to donate seem to be the young adults in the community,” Gruber said. “They don’t donate a lot, but they always seem to want to help.”The services provided by the funds are usually just one-time events and can include car repairs, bus tickets, prescriptions for someone without insurance, gasoline, moving expenses, baby products, lodging, rent, eye exams, tooth extractions, utilities and school registration, among others.

The Salvation Army Extension Service also gives out food from its food bank and gift certificates to local grocery stores.”It fills emergency gaps in the community,” Gruber said.In 2004, the extension service had 99 cases of helping individuals or families just with the food bank, and through September 2005, it had 79 cases.The Salvation Army Extension Service will be collecting money for its Kettle Drive through Dec. 24. To volunteer for the Kettle Drive, call Carol Rickauer at (970) 668-2942.

Donations to the Summit Daily News Holiday Fund can be made through Dec. 31. Individuals or organizations can send a check to Holiday Fund, Summit Daily News, P.O. Box 329, Frisco, CO 80443, or donations can be made in person at the newspaper at 40 W. Main St. in Frisco.Donors can specify if they want the donation to go to a particular agency.Jennifer Harper can be contacted at (970) 668-3998, ext. 13620, or at jharper@summitdaily.com.