Joost.com … Web Technology of the Week
February 17, 2008
Have you come across the word “Joost” before? No? There’s quite an online buzz about it, so let me fill you in on the main points.
Joost.com is a website that’s all about VIDEO. It offers thousands and thousands of TV shows for viewing, for free, with more being added every day. All you need is a broadband internet connection to use it.
With something for just about everyone, you can watch plenty of popular and niche shows on Joost, from MTV’s “Punk’d” to Comedy Central’s “Stella” to the NBA channel’s “Top Bloopers of the ’07 Season” to the Xtreme Channel’s World Cup of Skateboarding coverage.
Use Joost’s “Explore” section to find channels, shows or videos you’re interested in. Browse by category or check out what’s new or popular. Use the Search bar if you know exactly what you’re looking for.
Joost is easy to set up, as well. Just download it, install it, choose your Joost name, and start watching. Have fun; with more than 20,000 TV shows and more than 400 channels, it shouldn’t be too hard.
Knowing how to zoom effectively will help you become a more effective Photoshopper ” so remember that you can keep your document window the same size while zooming in and out if you hold down the Alt key (or Option key for Macs) while pressing the Ctrl key (Command key for Macs) and the “-” or “+” keys.
Recommended Stories For You
One of the easiest ways to add a new color to your Swatches palette is to position your cursor over the gray area after the last swatch and then click. If you want to add the color without having to name it, make sure you hold down the Alt key (or Option key if you’re using a Mac) when you click. Stop going back into your Photoshop preferences every time you want to change your rulers’ unit of measurement. Instead, just right-click (Ctrl-click for Mac users) on one of the rulers and choose your preferred measurement unit from the little box that pops open.
If you want your layer mask to have nice, clean, sharp edges ” and especially if you want the ability to edit those edges ” you should be using a vector mask instead of a layer mask. How? Just hold down Control when you click the “Add a Mask” button at the bottom of your layers palette, then go for it and use your Pen tool to draw your mask.
– http://www.reelcomp.com ” Upload original footage of you and/or your friends snowboarding, skateboarding or surfing, and compete in qualifying round competitions for $1,000 prizes, and then ultimately the $10,000 grand prize. Or you can always just take a look around the site, browse through the videos, and vote for your favorites.
– http://www.rosettaproject.org ” The Rosetta Project is a global collaboration of language specialists and native speakers building a publicly accessible online archive of ALL documented human languages.
– http://www.rehashclothes.com ” Shop for clothes without spending a penny by swapping your clothes and accessories with others. I think this site has the potential to be quite great, but at this point in time it could definitely use more participants.
– http://www.desktopography.net ” A showcase of nature-themed wallpapers created by designers from around the world.
– http://www.neweyesfortheneedy.org ” Founded in 1932, this nonprofit organization purchases new eyeglasses for poor children and adults in the U.S. and recycles donated glasses “for distribution to indigent people in developing nations worldwide.”
And that’s it for today, everyone. Have a great week, and see ya next Monday.