Kitten likely to blame in Briar Rose house fire | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Kitten likely to blame in Briar Rose house fire

Jane Stebbins

BRECKENRIDGE – A 7-month-old kitten may be to blame in a fire at a home on Briar Rose Lane in Breckenridge April 7.

According to Red, White and Blue Assistant Fire Chief Gary Green, investigators determined the stove ignited the fire. But the kitten may have inadvertently turned on the stove.

“We’re still investigating why,” Green said.

Many clues point to the kitten, Zoey, which died of smoke inhalation.

The cat’s food had been placed on the stove, and a shelf above the stove wasn’t very well supported, Green said. It’s possible the cat accidentally hit one of the push-buttons that turns the stove on, or jumped onto the shelf, which collapsed and struck a button on the stove.

Papers on the stove and the shelf were completely burned.

“Somehow the cat was involved in it,” Green said. “Either that or someone intentionally turned the stove on.”

There was no sign someone had broken into the house, and the homeowners, Tony and Mary Carosa, had left on vacation four days prior to the fire. Damage estimates are not available.

Jane Stebbins can be reached at 668-3998 ext. 228 or jstebbins@summitdaily.com.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User