Kobe, accuser settle assault case; terms not disclosed | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Kobe, accuser settle assault case; terms not disclosed

DENVER – Kobe Bryant and the 20-year-old woman who accused him of rape nearly two years ago settled her civil lawsuit against him Wednesday, ending a sordid case that tarnished one of the NBA’s brightest young stars.Terms were not released. A statement faxed to the Associated Press by Bryant’s attorneys said only that the matter had been resolved “to the satisfaction of both parties.””The parties and their attorneys have agreed that no further comments about the matter can or will be made,” the statement said. A motion for dismissal stipulating that the case can never be refiled was filed simultaneously in Denver federal court.The agreement probably spells out financial penalties for revealing any details, said Steve Cron, a Los Angeles attorney familiar with celebrity cases.”It’s in both parties’ interests to have this remain confidential,” he said. “That’s one of the incentives for them to settle: He didn’t have to do a deposition, the lurid details wouldn’t be posted on some website, she didn’t have to face the rigors of having a deposition by his lawyers and she’ll gain some privacy as well.”Governor, attorney general discuss next move after CU reportDENVER – The governor and attorney general huddled Wednesday to discuss scathing new details from University of Colorado’s football recruiting scandal while lawmakers endorsed a bill that will require the school’s major fundraising arm to open up more of its books to the public.Even with Colorado mired in a financial mess and budget cuts looming, the athletics department at the state’s flagship university in Boulder has dominated the state’s business this week.Gov. Bill Owens returned from an out-of-state trip and immediately scheduled a meeting with Attorney General John Suthers to talk about a leaked grand jury report that says the athletics department kept a “slush fund” and that the University of Colorado Foundation, which raises money for CU, failed to turn over documents requested by the panel.The report, which is still officially sealed, also said two female athletic trainers were sexually assaulted by an assistant football coach.The grand jury investigation, completed last year, was prompted by allegations that the football program used sex, drugs and alcohol to lure recruits and that nine women had been sexually assaulted by athletes since 1997.Town trustee to face recall over “under God” in PledgeDENVER – An Estes Park trustee criticized for remaining seated during the Pledge of Allegiance at Town Board meetings will face a recall election after a federal judge Wednesday ruled the town did nothing wrong and citizens have a right to disagree with him.U.S. District Court Judge Edward Nottingham said recall organizers did nothing wrong when they gathered more than 200 signatures supporting recalling David Habecker. He also said the town had remained neutral during the recall process.Nottingham withdrew a temporary injunction, which had blocked a scheduled recall election Feb. 15, issued after Habecker filed a lawsuit to stop the election. The judge said Habecker could pursue his lawsuit against the town and recall organizers if he was voted out of office.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User