Back page: Roadkill raccoon found with cheery balloon in Boulder
August 5, 2016
BOULDER, Colo. — A dead raccoon in a Boulder bike lane attracted more attention than the average roadkill after someone tied a helium balloon featuring the message "Get well soon!" to the animal's foot.
The Daily Camera reports that the raccoon was spotted Thursday morning by passers-by, who said they felt sad for the animal but were amused by the balloon.
City contractors working to control traffic during sewer work nearby say they saw a man drive up, tie the balloon to the raccoon and then drive off.
Bakari Jiles says he also saw the man snap a picture of the animal.
Several motorists and pedestrians had also stopped to get a close-up view and take pictures.
Both the raccoon's carcass and the balloon were removed from the roadway by late afternoon.
Recommended Stories For You
—The Associated Press
Trending In: Local
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- Video: Man whistles to moose in Frisco, tries to pet it as it charges
- After surprise reunion with estranged mother, Katie Uhlaender finishes 13th
- Vail is implementing new short-term regulations in March. Here’s what is required
- Olympic odds, ends & trends: Red Gerard’s sense of humor shines through on Jimmy Kimmel Live