Back page: Roadkill raccoon found with cheery balloon in Boulder
August 5, 2016
BOULDER, Colo. — A dead raccoon in a Boulder bike lane attracted more attention than the average roadkill after someone tied a helium balloon featuring the message "Get well soon!" to the animal's foot.
The Daily Camera reports that the raccoon was spotted Thursday morning by passers-by, who said they felt sad for the animal but were amused by the balloon.
City contractors working to control traffic during sewer work nearby say they saw a man drive up, tie the balloon to the raccoon and then drive off.
Bakari Jiles says he also saw the man snap a picture of the animal.
Several motorists and pedestrians had also stopped to get a close-up view and take pictures.
Both the raccoon's carcass and the balloon were removed from the roadway by late afternoon.
Recommended Stories For You
—The Associated Press
Trending In: Local
- Colorado River District unveils six principles for water-use reductions for all users
- Bill introduced to name Frisco post office after fallen Flight for Life pilot
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- Dillon Ranger District campgrounds to close for season on Oct. 7
- Co-defendant testifies in Ramon Villa sexual assault trial