BOEC starts construction on building restoration and employee housing
April 26, 2017
The Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center hosted a groundbreaking for their new Basecamp at the Sanitation Building on Wellington Street. The $2 million BOEC Basecamp project will add a third floor to the building that will provide housing for 16-22 staff members in the winter and summer seasons. The renovations to the four-decade-old building will allow for more storage space for the organization's outdoor equipment as well as improved office space for their administrative and support staff.
Executive director Bruce Fitch said that nearly $600,000 of the cost was in-kind donations by the Rockridge Building company as well as Custom Mountain Architects, who are helping to design and build the project. An additional $1.3 million was raised by donors.
Construction on the building will be completed in the spring of 2018. The nonprofit has a lease with the town of Breckenridge for 50 years. The Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center serves nearly 2,500 people every year through their programming.
Trending In: Local
- Former students will hold benefit recital for cherished Summit County dance instructor stricken by cancer, stroke
- Frisco Bay Marina’s ‘Big Dig’ would dredge tons of soil to extend boating season, make way for bigger vessels
- Skier killed in tree collision at Breckenridge Ski Resort identified by coroner
- Hey, Spike! bids former Summit Daily News publisher Jim Morgan a happy retirement
- Should Colorado host the Winter Olympics? The Summit Daily wants to hear from you
- Prominent climate scientist predicts Summit County’s climate in 2050. It might not be what you expect
- New parking garage comes with plans to better manage traffic in downtown Breckenridge
- High Country Crime: Pain drugs stolen from ski patrol shack atop Buttermilk
- Colorado startup launches product to facilitate ski-to-ski binding switches with bare hands
- Federal, state, local authorities work together to avoid catastrophe at Green Mountain Reservoir