Carbon monoxide sends 23 people to the hospital
Carbon monoxide alarm reminder
Homeowners and owners of rental property are reminded of their responsibilities to install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms which are now required by state law. The alarms must be installed near bedrooms or other rooms lawfully used for sleeping purposes in every home that is heated with fossil fuel, has a fuel-fired appliance, has a fireplace, or has an attached garage. This law includes all single family homes, condos and multi-family buildings, and applies to existing and new buildings. For more information on the law and its requirements, visit http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/ehs/HouseBill09FAQ.pdf.
Winter Safety Spotlight: Carbon Monoxide
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can greatly vary from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
Where does carbon monoxide come from?
CO gas can come from several sources: gas-fired appliances, charcoal grills, wood-burning furnaces or fireplaces and motor vehicles.
Protect yourself and your family from CO poisoning
Install at least one carbon monoxide alarm with an audible warning signal near the sleeping areas and outside individual bedrooms. Make sure the alarm has been evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Carbon monoxide alarms measure levels of CO over time and are designed to sound an alarm before an average, healthy adult would experience symptoms. It is very possible that you may not be experiencing symptoms when you hear the alarm. This does not mean that CO is not present.
Have a qualified professional check all fuel burning appliances, furnaces, venting and chimney systems at least once a year.
Never use your range or oven to help heat your home and never use a charcoal grill or hibachi in your home or garage.
Never keep a car running in a garage. Even if the garage doors are open, normal circulation will not provide enough fresh air to reliably prevent a dangerous buildup of CO.
When purchasing an existing home, have a qualified technician evaluate the integrity of the heating and cooking systems, as well as the sealed spaces between the garage and house. The presence of a carbon monoxide alarm in your home can save your life in the event of CO buildup.
Source: Eagle River Fire Protection District
AVON — Almost two dozen people from four families were treated for carbon monoxide exposure Thursday.
The 23 people were staying in a multi-family home complex in Avon. All were treated at the Vail Valley Medical Center and released. No major injuries were reported.
The source of the carbon remains unknown, but officials are investigating, said Gail MacFarland, of the Eagle River Fire Protection District.
Three people woke up Thursday morning complaining of headaches and nausea, MacFarland said. All three went to the Vail Valley Medical Center and were found to have been exposed to excess amounts of carbon monoxide.
The hospital asked the Eagle River Fire Protection District to check it out, and investigators found two more people suffering with carbon monoxide symptoms.
Those two were taken by ambulance to the hospital. Eventually, 18 more people were examined at VVMC. All were found to have symptoms stemming from carbon monoxide exposure.
Since Dec. 4, Eagle River firefighters have had 13 carbon monoxide calls. In some, but not all, of those calls nothing was found, MacFarland said.
True carbon monoxide cannot be smelled, said George Wilson, planning director with the Eagle River Fire Protection District. Gas companies put substances in it so you can smell it, but the most certain way to know it’s there is with a carbon monoxide detector, Wilson said.
“Carbon monoxide displaces the cells’ ability to get oxygen,” he said.
Symptoms include dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting and headaches.
Firefighters have equipment that detects and measures various gases in the air, including carbon monoxide, Wilson said.
For carbon monoxide, 20 parts per million is considered acceptable, but not for an extended period of time, he said. He said he has seen it reach thousands of parts per million.
“Typically within a household you’ll have multiple heating and cooking systems that, if it’s not maintained, can cause carbon monoxide,” Wilson said.
He suggested homeowners should install carbon monoxide detectors available from local stores.
“If you don’t have one of those, you won’t know it’s there,” Wilson said.
The source of the carbon monoxide in Thursday’s leak was being investigated but no source had been determined. A thorough inspection was conducted by an Avon building official who found no problems with any gas-fueled appliances, MacFarland said.
The source of the carbon monoxide remains under investigation, and carbon monoxide detectors have been installed in the house. Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at local hardware stores, Wilson said.
Eagle River Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedic Services, Red Cross, Eagle County Emergency Management, Avon Police Department and town of Avon building officials responded to the scene.
carbon monoxide poisoning
According to Eagle County Environmental Health Department, carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. If appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, exposure to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can result.
Improperly vented furnaces, boilers and water heaters are common sources of indoor carbon monoxide problems. The proper use and maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances will lower your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, Wilson said. According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 400 people die in the U.S. from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning annually.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User