CDOT offers update on I-70 construction projects
June 28, 2015
Amidst increasing concern and frustration regarding the traffic delays from construction along the I-70 corridor, representatives from the Colorado Department of Transportation recently joined the Clear Creek County Commissioners to provide a status report.
Stephen Harelson, CDOT Program Engineer, provided an estimated timetable for completion. Various project components will be wrapping up in the next few weeks; traffic will continue to be impacted by paving and bridge work.
Emergency-service providers shared their comments regarding the challenges of traversing a maze of lane closures and the concern for response times to emergencies caused by traffic congestion. Suggestions offered to CDOT include enhanced communication between "eyes on the ground" at the congestion areas and the Department's central communication center in Denver to better facilitate pro-active traffic control. Another suggestion was to ensure emergency personnel and CDOT have direct radio contact to enhance communication allowing for safer emergency response.
In addition, Harelson stated that more work would occur at night during periods of less traffic on I-70.
Business owners have expressed frustration over the loss of customers during the typical busy summer tourist season. Mike Hillman, mayor of Idaho Springs and a local business owner, shared the notion that "we're losing the travelling public because people don't want to stop in Clear Creek County due to the backups associated with road construction." Similar concerns were expressed by other business owners in the community.
Trending In: Local
- Dillon man wins Summit County Rotary Club’s annual car raffle
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- A 10 mile stretch between Silverthorne and Kremmling is the deadliest on all of Highway 9
- Breckenridge reels from boy’s death as investigation into fatal truck-on-bike collision continues
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect