Contract vehicle spills chemical on Swan Mountain Road
September 9, 2013
Fire crews responding to a report of an unknown substance near the intersection of Highway 6 and Swan Mountain Road at about 3:15 p.m. on Friday discovered a chemical spill.
It took about seven hours for crews to clean up and contain the substance, reported to be the hardening catalyst for epoxy traffic paint, said Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue public information officer Steve Lipsher.
The paint-hardening agent was reportedly leaked onto Swan Mountain Road by a highway painting crew after it turned onto the road from Highway 6. The substance spilled onto about 300-450 feet of roadway before the crew stopped the flow, Lipsher said.
Crews from Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue, the Summit Fire Authority's Hazardous Materials Team, Summit County Road and Bridge, the Summit County Sheriff's Office, the Colorado Department of Transportation, Colorado State Patrol and Denver Water responded to the spill.
Swan Mountain Road was reduced to one lane in each direction while the spill was being contained, Lipsher said.
Exposure to the liquid is not considered a threat to humans, but crews were working to keep it out of the nearby Dillon Reservoir.
Recommended Stories For You
An unknown number of vehicles drove through the substance, Lipsher said. "It's a material you don't want to spread."
Drivers whose vehicles may have come in contact with the chemical can get cleanup advice from the Colorado State Patrol, Frisco Troop Office, at (970) 668-6840.
Trending In: Local
- Dillon man wins Summit County Rotary Club’s annual car raffle
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- A 10 mile stretch between Silverthorne and Kremmling is the deadliest on all of Highway 9
- Breckenridge reels from boy’s death as investigation into fatal truck-on-bike collision continues
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-TenMile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect