Denver resident dies skiing at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Sunday
April 27, 2016
The 2016 ski season claimed another life over the weekend during closing day at Breckenridge Ski Resort.
Denver resident Catherine Abeyta, 20, died from blunt force trauma injuries on the afternoon of Sunday, April 24. Abeyta, a George Washington High School graduate, class of 2014, lost her life after hitting a tree on the Monte Cristo run on Peak 7. She was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, according to Summit County Coroner Regan Wood.
Her passing marks the sixth in the county from snow sports this season — matching the same total from 2014 and surpassing the four from 2015. Four of the six deaths this year occurred at Breckenridge, including the last three — all in the month of April.
Trending In: Local
- Summit County senior center lowers age requirement from 55 to 50 in effort to increase membership
- Housing Authority to soon take applications for 2nd round of Blue 52 workforce housing
- Former students will hold benefit recital for cherished Summit County dance instructor stricken by cancer, stroke
- Free workshop in Frisco to focus on business development
- National Alliance on Mental Illness hosting community discussion in Silverthorne
- Frisco residents resist ballot measure that would authorize workforce housing on “pocket park”
- In Summit County, vacation rentals often, but not always, more profitable than long-term leasing
- Crepes a la Cart’s second location eases pressure on one of Breckenridge’s longest, most prohibitive lines
- Steamboat woman turns over custody of embattled husky Sitka
- The new normal: Changes to blood pressure guidelines you should know