Denver resident dies skiing at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Sunday
April 27, 2016
The 2016 ski season claimed another life over the weekend during closing day at Breckenridge Ski Resort.
Denver resident Catherine Abeyta, 20, died from blunt force trauma injuries on the afternoon of Sunday, April 24. Abeyta, a George Washington High School graduate, class of 2014, lost her life after hitting a tree on the Monte Cristo run on Peak 7. She was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, according to Summit County Coroner Regan Wood.
Her passing marks the sixth in the county from snow sports this season — matching the same total from 2014 and surpassing the four from 2015. Four of the six deaths this year occurred at Breckenridge, including the last three — all in the month of April.
Trending In: Local
- Jury shown video of Taft Conlin’s final, fatal run as Vail skier death case wraps first week
- Buffalo Mountain Fire 95 percent contained, locals take over
- Jury deliberating Taft Conlin skier death case against Vail Resorts
- Firefighters, EMTs and law enforcement officers end stressful week with cook-off
- Three sought in Bocco fire; Sheriff’s Office wants to question them after witnesses saw them speeding from the area
- Summit County real estate feeling impact of ‘wealth effect,’ broker says
- Buffalo Mountain Fire investigation is underway; officials urge hikers to stay out of the area
- Interstate 70 traffic snarls that greeted mountain motorists on Monday could continue for months
- Traffic backed up on westbound I-70 near Vail Pass
- Kona, here she comes: Nancy Peters, 60, goes from last to first in four years to win her age group at Ironman Boulder