Denver resident dies skiing at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Sunday
April 27, 2016
The 2016 ski season claimed another life over the weekend during closing day at Breckenridge Ski Resort.
Denver resident Catherine Abeyta, 20, died from blunt force trauma injuries on the afternoon of Sunday, April 24. Abeyta, a George Washington High School graduate, class of 2014, lost her life after hitting a tree on the Monte Cristo run on Peak 7. She was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, according to Summit County Coroner Regan Wood.
Her passing marks the sixth in the county from snow sports this season — matching the same total from 2014 and surpassing the four from 2015. Four of the six deaths this year occurred at Breckenridge, including the last three — all in the month of April.
Trending In: Local
- Dillon man wins Summit County Rotary Club’s annual car raffle
- Colorado River District unveils six principles for water-use reductions for all users
- Dillon Ranger District campgrounds to close for season on Oct. 7
- Breckenridge reels from boy’s death as investigation into fatal truck-on-bike collision continues
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- Peaks trail dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Frisco child pornography trial hinges on disturbing images, chain of custody for digital evidence
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs
- Williams Sonoma outlet coming to Silverthorne this fall