Fire burns Gypsum chicken coop; chickens saved
November 28, 2016
GYPSUM — Along with nearby buildings, firefighters saved most of the 150 chickens caught in a coop that caught fire early Sunday.
And how does one save chickens from a flaming coop?
"Well, you put the fire out," Gypsum Fire Chief Justin Kirkland explained patiently.
The call came about 6:13 a.m. Sunday when a chicken coop — actually more of a pole barn — caught fire at 11 LeGrow Road in Gypsum.
How the fire started remains under investigation, although it was probably not a fox in that particular henhouse.
Firefighters were on the scene minutes after the call came in. They kept the fire from spreading to nearby buildings, then put the fire out, Kirkland said.
Recommended Stories For You
Along with the Gypsum Fire Department, the Eagle County Sheriff's Office and the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District responded to the incident. The Eagle River Fire Protection District provided a crew to cover the Gypsum firehouse while Gypsum firefighters extinguished the chicken coop blaze and responded to four accidents Sunday morning.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Local
- Vote to save the Tabor. Leadville’s iconic Tabor Opera House the only Colorado site selected for national preservation campaign
- Outlets to host Wednesday hiring event featuring dozens of big-name brands
- Bill introduced to name Frisco post office after fallen Flight for Life pilot
- Dillon Dam Road to close for scheduled maintenance Oct.15-19
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- Local businesses raise $8,000 to wipe out Summit School District elementary school lunch debt
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Quandary muddles over mud season
- Breckenridge Town Council set to ban Segways after Aspen business inquires about expansion