‘Skiing off to war’ presents story of 10th Mountain Division Wednesday
April 18, 2018
The Friends of the Dillon Ranger District will be hosting a community event titled "Skiing off to War" on Wednesday, April 25. The event will be presented by Colonel Tom Duhs USMC (retired) who will tell the incredible story of the 10th Mountain Division. The legendary division, colloquially known as the "Ski Troops," were once based at Camp Hale in the Eagle River valley during WWII and underwent intense training in its wintry, mountainous conditions. The division was deployed to Italy in the late stages of WWII and fought in some of the roughest terrain of the war against German troops, eventually helping secure Allied victory in the European theater.
The event is free and open to the public, and all ages are welcome. No sign up is necessary. The event will take place at the Summit County Library South Branch, 103 S. Harris St. in Breckenridge on from 6–7:30 p.m.
Trending In: Local
- Silverthorne passes Summit County’s strictest rules on short-term rentals
- Amendment 75 aims to close loophole in Colorado’s campaign finance law
- Summit Medical Center Foundation raises $257k for high altitude research center
- Arapahoe Basin once again country’s first ski area to open, marking start of 2017-2018 season
- Sen. Bennet secures federal funding, resources against aquatic nuisance species
- Arapahoe Basin, Loveland ski areas announce opening days for 2018-19 season
- Parking garage talks suggest warming relationship between Breckenridge, Vail Resorts
- Breckenridge OKs $8 million to build town-owned fiber optic network
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job
- Mama bear and her three cubs spend the night in Snowmass building