Leadville murder suspect named, armed and at-large
May 5, 2016
LEADVILLE — A manhunt is on for a murder suspect in a Leadville slaying on Monday.
A warrant for first-degree murder has been issued for Matthew James Haley, 30, in connection with the stabbing death of Jordan Gausman.
About 11:30 p.m. Monday, an argument between Haley and Gausman turned physical at the Silver Dollar Saloon, where Gausman worked, according to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
Gausman, 31, had worked in Leadville bars and restaurants for nearly 10 years. Most recently, he was the Silver Dollar Saloon's kitchen manager and cook, according to the Leadville Today website.
Witnesses say a barroom argument started between him and Haley, who was reportedly a transient and was camping in the area. Reports state that the argument grew heated and when Gausman stepped outside to smoke a cigarette, Haley followed him. A physical encounter followed, and Gausman suffered a fatal stab wound.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is asking anyone with information about Haley's whereabouts to call police.
Recommended Stories For You
Haley is considered armed and dangerous.
A statement from the Leadville Police Department states there is no threat to the public and that this was an incident "between two specific individuals over a private matter."
"This is a collaborative investigation, and I cannot enough thank each agency named below enough for their round-the-clock effort to bring justice to the family of Mr. Haley," said District Attorney Bruce Brown, whose agency is helping with the investigation, along with the CBI, Leadville Police Department and the Lake County Sheriff's Office.
Trending In: Local
- Colorado Mountain College purchases Breckenridge apartment buildings, certifies mill levy
- Summit County comes together and sings Christmas carols for cancer-stricken SHS student Taylor Ash
- Summit County commissioners approve $126 million budget for 2019
- SHS kids score big at regional jazz competition
- Keystone Resort changes up parking situation in advance of opening day
- Breckenridge reaches an agreement with ski resort on parking garage
- Denver loses U.S. bid for 2030 Olympics to Salt Lake City
- Two arrested for participation in poaching operation
- Mountain Wheels: Colorado drivers – I have some questions for you
- Breckenridge, ski resort reach deal to build parking garage on South Gondola Lot