Mountain mentor of the month: February 2017
February 25, 2017
February's Mountain Mentor of the month
Summit County Mountain Mentors, the community-based mentoring program matching caring volunteers with youths aged 8 to 16, would like to honor its Mentor of the Month for February, Steph Snyder.
The mission of the program, now into its 30th year, is to positively influence the county's youth to lead healthy lifestyles through a consistent, one-on-one relationship with an adult. Research shows this connection can help a young person overcome certain life challenges as well as learn skills that may prove valuable in the mentee's development.
Following a couple summers back in her native Summit during college as a nanny for a young girl, Snyder desired a similar friendship with a child, so signed up with Mountain Mentors after moving back and seeing an advertisement for the program. She was soon paired with her mentee Vane and the two have now been spending time together about a year and a half.
"I decided this would be a perfect opportunity for me to create another memorable relationship," said Snyder. "Like any relationship, it's nerve-racking at first, but once you get to know your mentee they will open your eyes to a new world of fun."
The two have participated in several fun activities together, including ice skating, snowboarding and sledding in Dillon. For the latter, the two found a big hill with tracks that ran through a glade of trees. They enjoyed taking slow-motion videos of each other getting air off several bumps when they picked up speed.
Recommended Stories For You
Snyder encourages anyone considering becoming a mentor to understand the great need in the Summit community. Many children apply and wait several months before being matched and are themselves just looking for someone in their life who will matter. For more information about the program, or to learn more about becoming a Mountain Mentor, visit: co.summit.co.us/332/Mountain-Mentors
Trending In: Local
- Bill introduced to name Frisco post office after fallen Flight for Life pilot
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- Search for Tyler Gorrell suspended with no sign of the missing Denver resident
- Tuesday workshop at CMC Breckenridge to focus on building a welcoming community
- Colorado River District unveils six principles for water-use reductions for all users
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Local businesses raise $8,000 to wipe out Summit School District elementary school lunch debt
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)