Sheriff warns of increased parking enforcement on Heeney Road
July 21, 2017
After receiving numerous complaints about people parking illegally in the Heeney area, Summit County authorities are urging drivers to respect regulations and are stepping up enforcement.
According to a news release, the Summit County Sheriff's Office has received numerous reports of parked vehicles impeding traffic along the northern portion of Heeney Road, where drivers are parking illegally to access the northwestern end of Green Mountain Reservoir. Heeney Road — also County Road 30 — is a paved stretch that sits about 20 miles north of Silverthorne, running along the west side of Green Mountain Reservoir.
The release notes parking is not allowed on county roads at any time without a permit from the sheriff's office. Additionally, that section of Heeney Road just east of the dam is reportedly prone to rockfall.
"One some occasions, dozens of vehicles have been parked on the road," Sheriff Jaime FitzSimons said in a statement. "Green Mountain Reservoir is an extremely popular spot in the summertime, so people need to be respectful of one another and enjoy this resource in a way that doesn't compromise public safety."
The sheriff is also asking people to report parking violations to the Summit County 911 Center via the nonemergency line at 970-668-8600.
"We encourage Summit County residents and visitors to promptly report any parking violations," FitzSimons said. "We want to address these situations in a timely manner. It's just not safe to turn a public road into an impromptu parking lot or backyard barbecue."
Trending In: Local
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breck’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Letter to the Editor: SDN not-so fair and balanced