Silverthorne Elementary takes on Joel Rivera as new principal
March 14, 2017
The Summit School District announced Summit Middle School principal Joel Rivera as the new principal of Silverthorne Elementary School effective immediately following the resignation of Jeff Johnson earlier this month.
During Rivera's six years in his prior role, the middle school received some of its highest performance ratings for academic growth and achievement on statewide assessments in its history. He was also selected to represent the state as the Secondary Level-Middle School Principal of the Year for 2015-16. He is also a Family & Intercultural Resource Center board member, as well as a member of the district's High Academic Achievement for All task force.
"Principal Rivera is an effective leader and has proven the depth of his commitment to staff, students and families in his many years at Summit Middle School," Superintendent Kerry Buhler said in a news release. "We believe he will continue to foster an inclusive, welcoming student environment at Silverthorne Elementary."
The middle school will now shift to the leadership of assistant principals Jeff Chabot and Nelle Biggs. Assistant superintendent Cathy Beck will also relocate her office to the middle school to provide additional support for both staff and students. The district will begin a search for a new middle school principal and expects to make a pick by the end of the school year.
Trending In: Local
- Silverthorne finalizes pay increase for next town council
- Backcountry skier died Sunday on Quandary Peak
- Keystone Resort changes up parking situation in advance of opening day
- Friends of the Dillon Ranger District to host second annual Casino Night fundraiser on Feb. 7
- Steadman Clinic opens new expanded facility in Frisco
- Breckenridge Ski Resort extends ski season through Memorial Day for first time since ’90s
- No one injured or missing in skier-triggered avalanche at Loveland Ski Area
- Inbounds avalanche at Taos Ski Valley buries 2 men near summit
- Can modular homes save ski towns?
- Gibbs resigns as commissioner for Polis cabinet post, Democrats will appoint a successor