Silverthorne clinic evacuated due to small fire; no injuries reported |

Silverthorne clinic evacuated due to small fire; no injuries reported

One person suffered minor injuries in a small structure fire at the High Country Healthcare clinic in Silverthorne Monday afternoon that forced the building to be evacuated.

The blaze started when a heating, ventilation and air conditioning worker soldering pipes above the ceiling of the Tanglewood Plaza building accidentally sent sparks flying into nearby insulation. The worker and a clinic employee were able to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire by the time Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue arrived on scene moments later.

Clinic employees said there were only a few people in the building at the time of the fire. Everyone was evacuated and only the HVAC worker appeared to have suffered any injuries from the blaze. Medical personnel treated him for shortness of breath at the scene.

“As a reasonable and prudent precaution, they initiated that (evacuation) on their own,” LDFR spokesman Steve Lipsher said. “Which is the entirely appropriate thing to do if you are ever in a building that is on fire.”

Fire crews conducted a safety check and then turned the clinic back over to the staff. It was able to reopen the same afternoon.

Lipsher said there did not appear to have been any misconduct or structural problems relating to the fire.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User