Ski trade group Colorado Ski Country USA reports strong season results
June 16, 2017
Colorado Ski Country USA announced during its 54th annual meeting skier visits at its 22-member ski areas totaled 7.3 million during the 2016-17 season. It is estimated that after final numbers are tallied, the 2016-17 season will be the state's second-best season on record. This year's season total was up 6 percent over the five-year average, marking the fourth consecutive year that skier visits at Colorado Ski Country USA resorts have outperformed the five-year average.
"This season had a little bit of everything," Colorado Ski Country USA president and CEO Melanie Mills said. "A warm fall kept skiers away from the High Country early in the season, but deep snow totals in December and January attracted record numbers of guests during the busy holiday period.
"These are very strong numbers, especially considering the warm start to the season," Mills added. "Colorado's consistently great snow conditions are a draw for in-state, out-of-state and international guests. … We're looking forward to another strong season in 2017-18."
Vail Resorts is not a member of the statewide group, so its skier numbers aren't included in the Colorado Ski Country USA total. Vail Resorts doesn't report skier numbers for individual resorts. The company's most recent earnings report showed 11.6 million skier visits collectively at all of its resorts around the world.
For more information, go to ColoradoSki.com.
Trending In: Local
- Search for Tyler Gorrell suspended with no sign of the missing Denver resident
- Glitchy DMV systems, hiker deaths, understaffed jail — just some of the issues facing Summit County
- Breckenridge’s short-term rentals won’t see any ‘no-knock raids,’ staff explains
- WOW! art sale takes place Sunday
- Applicants received ahead of Monday’s deadline likely to land homes at Silverthorne’s Smith Ranch
- Breckenridge updates rules for short-term rentals amid firestorm of protests
- UPDATE: 43-year-old Pennsylvania woman killed in 150-foot fall on Mount Royal
- Drug dealer gets 5 years for selling fatal dose of Fentanyl
- Mountain Lyon Cafe in Silverthorne will migrate a few blocks this fall
- Silverthorne resident comes to rescue of choking man