Week in Summit: Arrest in Breckenridge hit-and-run; former Silverthorne mayor dies in house fire | SummitDaily.com

Week in Summit: Arrest in Breckenridge hit-and-run; former Silverthorne mayor dies in house fire

The Most Harrowing Holiday Award has to go to Laura Hamilton, who is recovering from a hit-and-run that left her with a concussion, whiplash, three fractured vertebrae in her lower back, a fractured femur and a deep gash on her left thigh.

On Friday, Dec. 26, at about 10:45 p.m., Hamilton was walking to her apartment on a sidewalk along Airport Road in Breckenridge north of City Market when she texted a friend to pick her up.

The rest is pretty much a blur.

A snowplow driver who later saw her lying facedown, partly in the northbound lane of Airport Road across from Pinewood Village Apartments and partly in the roadside snowbank, called for help.

Four days later, on Tuesday, Dec. 30, Summit County resident Hallie Southall Schmitt, 24, was arrested in connection with the incident.

Schmitt faces charges of failure to remain at the scene of an accident involving serious bodily injury, vehicular assault and failure to report an accident. She was booked into the Summit County jail on $7,500 bond and was scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, Dec. 31.



Warren Alloway, a resident of Silverthorne for nearly 60 years and the town’s first full-time mayor, was the victim of a Friday-afternoon fire at his home.

The causes of his death and of the fire have not been determined.

Alloway moved to Silverthorne with his wife in 1958. Besides serving as the town’s mayor, between 1968 and 1976, he worked on the Roberts Tunnel water project and at the Climax mine.

He is remembered fondly by friends for, among other things, his small herd of pack mules, which he kept in the yard at his house and would take on long treks into the nearby mountains.

“He was one of those very mild-mannered guys, the sort who wasn’t boastful about himself,” said Silverthorne Councilwoman Peggy Long. “But when he started talking, he had done so many incredible things.”


Just after 5 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 30, a Bank of the West employee called the Summit County Communications Center for help.

The Frisco bank was on lockdown and a suspicious person was somewhere in the building, she told a dispatcher.

Then things took a turn that could have been ripped from the pages of the kiddie superhero book “Super Schnoz and the Gates of Smell.”

The employee, who was hiding behind a desk, told the dispatcher she heard noises but didn’t see anyone.

“Smells like a man,” she said, according to the incident report.

That got things rolling. Officers from the Frisco, Dillon and Silverthorne police departments and deputies with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office — pretty much all of Summit’s law enforcement personnel — responded within three minutes.

The gathering of authorities checked out several people inside and outside of the bank before clearing the building at 5:33 p.m. They declared the situation a false alarm at 5:55 p.m., the report said.


A couple suspected of robbing the Old Chicago restaurant in Silverthorne on Sunday, Dec. 28, are still on the run.

In a twist on the old dine-and-dash routine, the suspects — a man and woman, both thought to be Hispanic — came in together during dinner service and ordered a meal. They then asked for the manager, then escorted him to a back office after telling him they had concealed weapons.

The man and woman stole an undisclosed amount of cash. No one witnessed the two enter a car or other vehicle, and at this time there is no information on where they are from or where they went after the robbery.

The names of the suspects and manager have not yet been released, and no one was injured during the robbery.

“We’re still working this case,” Silverthorne police chief Mark Hanschmidt said. “We collected a lot of evidence, obviously, because it happened right in the middle of the restaurant.”


A 16-year-old boy who went missing in Breckenridge on Wednesday night was found late Thursday morning, just blocks from where he was last seen.

The boy, Grant Mavergeorge, texted his parents on Jan. 2, after he had been missing for more than 15 hours. According to a report from Breckenridge police, he was uninjured and reunited with his family shortly after.

On Jan. 1 around 6 p.m., Mavergeorge was at One Ski Hill Place near the base of Peak 8. According to police, he left the area to “cool off” following an argument. His family reported the disappearance to police around 7 p.m. when he didn’t return.

Officers began to search soon after, beginning with a notice for help from the public.

The boy has high-functioning Asperger’s syndrome, a condition that can affect person-to-person interactions, and police expected him to avoid crowds and high-traffic areas like the Main Street strip.

Mavergeorge spent the night in the heated maintenance closet of an undisclosed property on Ski Hill Road.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.