White River National Forest campgrounds open for the summer
May 25, 2017
Despite snow and rain across much of the White River National Forest for the month of May, the summer season is fast approaching. Most campgrounds officially opened May 19 with a few exceptions, such as the higher elevation campgrounds and campgrounds in Summit County experiencing spring snowfall.
The Forest offers 68 family campgrounds, six group sites, 17 picnic areas and 26 other developed sites such as interpretive sites, overlooks and boat launches. These facilities provide space for recreational enjoyment during the late spring, summer and fall seasons.
Even though snowy conditions may exist in Summit County, campgrounds on the Dillon Ranger District are open, excluding the following locations which open May 26: Lowry Campground, Prospector Campground and Windy Point Group Site.
Campgrounds can be reserved up to 240 days in advance. Group campsites can be reserved 12 months in advance. Make your reservation soon at http://www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777.
Trending In: Local
- Widow’s benefits halved after late husband tests positive for marijuana in Loveland Ski Area death
- Justin Erwin trial hears testimony from accuser’s boyfriend, bartenders
- Successful fight against the Buffalo Mountain Fire rooted in stellar performances, strong relationships
- Erwin faces his accuser, law enforcement officials, in second day of testimony
- Is it time for Summit County residents to start prepping roofs for winter?