Wildfire updates from across Colorado
July 13, 2018
Here is a rundown of the state of the largest wildfires currently burning across the state.
Spring Creek Fire
The Spring Creek Fire in Costilla County, which was allegedly started on June 27 by a Danish man using a fire pit, is now the second largest wildfire in state history. The fire is currently at 108,045 acres, but is at 91 percent containment. Jesper Joergensen, 52, has been charged with 141 counts of arson for the 141 homes and structures destroyed by the blaze.
Lake Christine Fire
The Lake Christine Fire near Basalt, which was allegedly started by a couple firing illegal tracer rounds at a shooting range, is currently at 6,602 acres and 54 percent containment. Over 500 firefighters, including firefighters from Summit County, were dispatched to fight the blaze. Homes are no longer at risk and mandatory evacuations have been lifted, but the fire continues to grow into the forest. Three homes, including one belonging to a volunteer firefighter, have been destroyed in the blaze.
Weston Pass fire
Recommended Stories For You
The Weston Pass fire south of Fairplay is currently at 13,023 acres and 83 percent containment. All mandatory evacuations have been lifted. The fire, which was started by lightning on June 28, did not damage any structures.
The Sugarloaf Fire in Grand County, on the border with Summit County, is still burning in the Arapaho National Forest and is at 1,280 acres and 20 percent containment. After creating fire lines to keep the fire away from structures, officials have decided to let the fire burn into the forest to clear away the massive amount of beetle killed trees and dry brush in the area. No structures are at risk.
Trending In: Local
- Vote to save the Tabor. Leadville’s iconic Tabor Opera House the only Colorado site selected for national preservation campaign
- Outlets to host Wednesday hiring event featuring dozens of big-name brands
- Dillon Dam Road to close for scheduled maintenance Oct.15-19
- Bill introduced to name Frisco post office after fallen Flight for Life pilot
- Breckenridge Ski Resort about a month out from making snow
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Local businesses raise $8,000 to wipe out Summit School District elementary school lunch debt
- Breckenridge Town Council set to ban Segways after Aspen business inquires about expansion
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Summit Spirits: What is the difference between a ghost and a spirit?