Nancy Morey: Ice melt dangerous to animals | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Nancy Morey: Ice melt dangerous to animals

Nancy Morey
Silverthorne

Just before we left on a recent road trip, we found in our ditch out front a partially chewed and clawed open EMPTY Road Runner brand ice melt sack. Reading the back of the sack (which listed all of the chemicals it contained) told us that this stuff is an “extreme hazard to animals.” These very words were printed on it. Obviously, some animal got into it, probably a local fox, because some irresponsible person had left it outside and accessible. I can’t imagine this unfortunate animal’s agonizingly painful (and needless) death.

It is well known that cats are especially at risk from crawling up into warm motors, and dogs and cats are poisoned if they ingest antifreeze, but this ice melt substance is equally lethal unless it is SAFE PAW or an equivalent product that is safe for children and pets (if they come into contact with it, not if they swallow it, of course). Please write an article about the importance of keeping the safety of all wildlife and domestic animals ever present in our minds this winter season so we will all act responsibly and keep innocent animals from needlessly suffering in this way, indirectly at the hands of humans.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User