Obituary: Karl Howard Easterly
January 17, 2015
Karl Howard Easterly
Karl Howard Easterly, 95, passed away in Silverthorne on New Year's Day 2015. He was preceded in death by his brother Verald Easterly.
The Easterlys were expert skiers and featured in a television episode of "You Asked For It," skiing behind a helicopter and doing stunts now considered extreme skiing. Karl was a member of the Over the Hill Gang and skied until he was 90. They both skied at Arapahoe Basin the first week it was opened. Karl and Verald Easterly participated in many Senior Center activities.
Karl enlisted in the Navy during World War II and he and brother Verald served together as radiomen on the USS DE Thomas in the South Pacific. He was able to go on an Honor Flight for WWII veterans to Washington, D.C., in May 2013.
A military service is planned for Memorial Day weekend in Gunnison.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breck’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- Pet owners turn to CBD treatments for ailing dogs as research on the subject takes shape