Olk: Mitt Romney: The woman’s president | SummitDaily.com

Olk: Mitt Romney: The woman’s president

Nate Olk

Re. “War on Women,” by Jackie Berry, letters, Sept. 16

Berry’s quarrel with Obamacare has no application to reality. Her argument is factually incorrect when she tries to claim that women cannot receive mammogram coverage until they are 50. Under the Affordable Care Act insurance companies are required to cover preventative care, including mammograms and colonoscopies, without charging a co-pay or a deductible. And women who previously could not afford these preventative measures now can receive such services. Berry’s entire dispute is based on a suggestive claim that was never part of the ACA.

Berry fails to mention that Obamacare requires insurers to provide women with the option of annual physicals, HPV testing, diabetes screenings, HIV testing, domestic violence counseling, breastfeeding support, pap tests, and FDA-approved contraceptives. Additionally, women who have breast cancer are not allowed to be denied health care coverage – whereas without Obamacare they would be left with minimal or no care at all.

Believing a “war on women” is coming from President Obama is incorrect. Are your only two news sources Fox and Limbaugh? Romney vows to repeal Obamacare on day one in office, and wants to end funding to Planned Parenthood because he is against abortions. Abortions account for 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s services.The remaining 97 percent include STD testing, pap tests, breast exams, and services preventing unwanted pregnancies. Romney is willing to deny those services to women. He also intensely opposes birth control coverage. Is he suggesting only wealthy Americans deserve the enjoyment of being able to safely make love? Stripping contraception coverage results in unplanned pregnancies, increasing the number of children in poverty, ergo increasing welfare spending. Republicans are supposedly against spending, but, it costs just $12,000 per woman over her entire lifetime for birth control coverage and annual doctor’s visits. Comparably, an unwanted pregnancy for the lower class costs the government approximately $4,500/year in welfare costs, or $81,000 over 18 years, almost 7 times the cost of lifetime contraception coverage. Seventy-six percent of all Planned Parenthood services focus on preventing unintended pregnancies, saving the government over $2 billion in future welfare costs each year.

I can’t understand out how any woman could vote for Romney, a man who believes that he, and congress (~90 percent are men) should be making decisions on behalf of women’s health – women deserve their own voice. Mitt Romney is not pro-life, he is pro-birth. After a child is born he doesn’t care about how that child will receive health care so that he or she can live a healthy life. Obamacare remains an advocate for women’s health; the republican leaders in Washington want women’s benefits stripped and their choices taken away.

So ask yourself again, which candidate has a war on women? Sincerely,