Police Blotter: Fire extinguisher false alarm causes evacuation | SummitDaily.com

Police Blotter: Fire extinguisher false alarm causes evacuation

Editor’s note: The police blotter is written from incident reports provided by local police departments and the Summit County Sheriff’s Office. All individuals named are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The discharge of a fire extinguisher at Main Street Station March 7 set off alarms causing the building to be evacuated, according to a report from the Breckenridge Police Department.

Someone reportedly took the extinguisher from its box and sprayed the contents in a downstairs hallway, coating the floors, walls and doors just after 12:45 a.m.

A smoke alarm went off in the building causing people to evacuate and elevators to shut down.

There were no cameras in the building. Authorities were unable to retrieve fingerprints from the fire extinguisher or its box due to the residue from the extinguisher, according to the report.

There were no suspects at the time of the report and the case was listed inactive.

The Breckenridge Police Department received at least two reports of graffiti around town this month, according to a Breckenridge police report.

The first was discovered on a storage facility behind a local liquor store May 7, There were two marks on the retaining wall located across from Crystal Peak Resort, one made with blue paint apparently saying, “blis” the other with white paint in what appeared to be the letters “EPTC.”

The police had no suspects at the time of the resort.

Public works was notified of the vandalism.

A man who accused his former roommates of stealing his speakers apparently never owned the speakers in the first place, according to a Breckenridge police report.

The man reported his speakers stolen after two of his roommates moved out of the house following an argument during which he accused them of stealing.

But when Breckenridge officers contacted the two roommates, they said the man had been behaving strangely and accusing them of stealing causing them to move out. One of the roommates said the speakers were his and he had a receipt proving ownership.

When officers contacted the man who reported the theft again, he admitted he couldn’t remember who owned the speakers and then later acknowledged they were brought into the house by the roommate he’d accused of stealing.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User