Police seeking information in suspicious house fire | SummitDaily.com

Police seeking information in suspicious house fire

FRISCO – A variety of “visual and scientific evidence” collected at the scene of a suspicious Frisco fourplex fire Sept. 30 has led police to believe the blaze was willfully set, said Lake Dillon Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Jeff Berino.

The early morning fire displaced a family of six in Unit A and a group of four unrelated tenants who lived in Unit B at 310 Creekside Drive. Law enforcement has since placed placards on the charred wooden structure promising a $5,000 reward to anyone who might have information about the fire.

Frisco police are still interviewing people in regards to the incident, but have yet to charge anyone with a crime.

“We’re following leads and rumors,” said Detective Glenn Johnson. “We’ve got about another 15 people to talk to: neighbors, past renters, anyone who has had anything to do with the place at all.”

The fire apparently was started on the deck of Unit B at about 2:30 a.m. Sept. 30.

One of the tenants, Jami Zegarski, saw flames at her window and ran around the house to wake the others, then ran next door to wake the Morgan family.

A smoke detector upstairs sounded, said Lisa Cloud of the Red Cross, but Zegarski was already waking people up in the two occupied units.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is processing evidence from the scene. Johnson hopes to get some of those results back in the next two weeks.

In the meantime, the four renters – Chris Calenzo, Dave Hoops, TJ Forte and Zegarski – have found a new place to live in town. A benefit held at Upstairs at Jonny G’s Friday raised more than $1,100. The Red Cross offered food, clothing and shelter. The Target store general manager sold them clothing for 75 percent off the clearance price.

The Gary and Melanie Morgan family, including four children aged 2 to 18, also has found a new place to stay.

Each group is slowly picking up the pieces of their lives, said Megan Siddall, who was staying at the fourplex in Unit B when it caught fire.

“It’s coming along,” she said. “But it’s going to take some time. They have good days and bad days.”

Each has been interviewed by the police, Siddall said, but aren’t suspects. The five don’t even believe the fire was arson.

“I think they’re calling it arson because they’ve exhausted all the other possibilities,” she said. “I hope it’s not arson; that’s a disgusting thing. We’re trying to see the good in people, and to think someone would set a fire that could have killed people … We’re wracking our brains. We just want to know why this happened.”

Jane Stebbins can be reached at (970) 668-3998, ext. 228, or jstebbins@summitdaily.com.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User