Real-estate forum Q&A |

Real-estate forum Q&A

Question: We want to challenge the tax assessment on our home. How can we get some assistance in this? Answer: Although some real estate industry members attest that local home assessors have become more accurate over the years, homeowners who wish to challenge a tax assessment can do so with the help of a real estate practitioner. First, conduct your own comparative research using the area “comps” listed on the assessment slip. Take note especially if your home features fewer bedrooms or baths than the nearby comps. Request a “comparative market analysis” from a trusted practitioner. This data will balance your home against recent area home sales. A professional appraisal could also be conducted at a cost of between $250 and $275. Recent homebuyers should refer to the sales contract for evidence of the home’s value. Next, request an “informal conference” with the assessor in order to present your findings. If the results of this meeting are unfavorable, file a formal appeal with the Board of Equalization in the timeline specified. Be aware however, that the board may actually raise your assessment. While a lawyer is not needed at this stage in the process, homeowners who choose to challenge the board may require legal counsel. 2009 Information.Inc.Question: We have an older home and seem to have a lot of surges in power. We have purchased a surge protector for our computer but wonder if we need them for our other more expensive appliances.Answer: Homeowners possessing numerous expensive appliances such as VCRs and computers should equip their house with a whole-house surge suppressor rather than individual plug-in surge protectors. Power surges can occur very easily, be it from turning on a home appliance or from receiving an energy surge from a nearby source, and these frequent surges can gradually break down a home’s wiring insulation. A whole-house surge suppressor, which several companies will install complete with a $10,000 damage warranty, will offer the best protection for expensive appliances. These suppressors can either be mounted on the circuit break box, mounted under the electric meter, or installed into a snap-in circuit breaker. The level of protection depends on the model, but certain features to look for are the magnitude of the surge that can be dissipated, the speed of reaction, and the amount of voltage that triggers a surge block. Some new suppressors are also designed to protect a home’s phone, cable, and modem lines. 2009 Information.Inc.For answers to your real estate questions, call Allison at 970-468-6800. Email – Allison is a long time local in Summit County. Summit Real Estate The Simson/Nenninger Team is located at the Dillon Ridge Marketplace. Allisons long-time residency and years of real estate experience can help you make the most of any buying or selling situation. Shes a Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), the highest designation awarded to a Realtor in the residential sales field. Her philosophy is simple, whether buying or selling, she understands that the most important real estate transaction is yours. Want to know the value of your Summit County property? Visit

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User