1 dead, 1 arrested in separate standoffs in Estes Park
May 8, 2017
ESTES PARK, Colo. — Authorities say one man shot himself to death and a second was arrested in separate standoffs with police in Estes Park, a resort town near the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.
The Denver Post reports (http://dpo.st/2pTZb0o) the first confrontation started Friday and ended Saturday when police entered a home and found a suspect dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police say the man had fired on officers and claimed he planted bombs in the home, but no explosives were found.
Later Saturday, police arrested another man after reports of someone firing a gun multiple times on a street near an entrance to the national park. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
Town police and National Park Service officers responded.
Authorities haven't said what prompted either incident.
Recommended Stories For You
Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com
Trending In: Regional
- Colorado’s Constitutional conundrum: Gallagher vs. TABOR amendments, and what it means for us
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Mountain Town News: Two laborers suffocate when trench collapses
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Swastikas, SS bolts spray painted on Sheriff Jaime FitzSimons’ campaign posters
- Town staff recommends that Breckenridge should keep controversial troll in place for now
- At Arapahoe Basin Ski Area’s opening day, shredders share their new ski season resolutions
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Dillon celebrates first year successes of revamped amphitheater, looks ahead to 2019