1 dead, 1 arrested in separate standoffs in Estes Park
May 8, 2017
ESTES PARK, Colo. — Authorities say one man shot himself to death and a second was arrested in separate standoffs with police in Estes Park, a resort town near the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park.
The Denver Post reports (http://dpo.st/2pTZb0o) the first confrontation started Friday and ended Saturday when police entered a home and found a suspect dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police say the man had fired on officers and claimed he planted bombs in the home, but no explosives were found.
Later Saturday, police arrested another man after reports of someone firing a gun multiple times on a street near an entrance to the national park. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
Town police and National Park Service officers responded.
Authorities haven't said what prompted either incident.
Recommended Stories For You
Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com
Trending In: Regional
- White River National Forest withdraws support services from two Eagle County campgrounds
- Mountain Town News: Warnings abound of megafires in forests soon and in the future
- Mountain Town News: Conspicuous air pollution smokes up gun protesters
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Summit County real estate sales slow down in March
- Pet owners turn to CBD treatments for ailing dogs as research on the subject takes shape