Body found in river belongs to missing 11-year-old rafter
June 13, 2015
SALIDA, Colo. — Authorities say the body of a boy found in the Arkansas River is that of an 11-year-old from Golden who went missing after falling from a raft.
KCNC-TV reports that Chaffee County coroner on Friday identified the boy as Drake Durkee.
Durkee was thrown into the rushing river north of Salida on Wednesday during a commercial rafting trip.
Searchers scoured the river for his body using underwater cameras, divers and boats.
Chaffee County Sheriff officials say the boy lost his life vest at some point. They are still investigating how.
Sheriff John Spezze says he temporarily closed the river to boaters Friday because crews put ropes across the river while a diver searched the rapids.
Recommended Stories For You
Information from: KCNC-TV, http://www.cbsdenver.com
Trending In: Regional
- Summit Stage set to add Park County commuter bus with stops in Alma and Fairplay
- Mountain Town News: Warnings abound of megafires in forests soon and in the future
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- 6 scenic southwest Colorado hot springs to warm up and wind down
- Taft Conlin skier death lawsuit against Vail Resorts will have its day in court
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skimmer charged with pair of misdemeanors, dodging possible felony
- Breckenridge Grand Vacations named best large company in Denver Post’s 2018 Top Workplaces list
- Summit County schools to close Friday as teachers join thousands at protest in Denver