New Belgium Brewery launches hemp beer
March 23, 2018
New Belgium brewmasters knew they were onto something when their Fort Collins brewery smelled like somebody had a "loud bag of weed" in their pocket.
After three years of development, they're debuting that dank brew, dubbed The Hemperor HPA, on April 2.
The "hemp pale ale" blends hemp and hops for an earthy take on the traditional India Pale Ale with a resinous nose unmistakable to anyone who has found themselves downwind of Denver's Civic Center Park on 4/20.
For the nation's fourth-largest craft brewery, that's an "herbal olfactory" win.
Experimental suds are commonplace in the craft beer industry (bull testicle stout, anyone?), and other hemp beers are on tap across the country.
But with the coronation of The Hemperor, New Belgium is launching a movement, not a novelty beer, brewery spokesman Bryan Simpson said.
Recommended Stories For You
"We actually don't want it to be a fad or kitschy." he said.
Trending In: Regional
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Mountain Town News: How healthy Sherpa may help unhealthy lowlanders
- Colorado’s Constitutional conundrum: Gallagher vs. TABOR amendments, and what it means for us
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush,’ ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- String of fights at Summit High School could lead to charges against multiple students
- Isak Heartstone saved? Artist claims deal with Breckenridge to rebuild beloved troll
- Big Boi joins Gramatik for Breck’s Mountain Dew Snow Dance
- Breckenridge takes down trail troll
- Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin ski areas to open new terrain