Senate gives initial OK to carbon monoxide bill | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Senate gives initial OK to carbon monoxide bill

Associated Press

DENVER ” State lawmakers are moving quickly to pass a bill that would boost the number of household carbon monoxide detectors.

The full Senate gave initial backing to the bill Thursday. The House has already approved it.

The father and stepmother of Lauren Johnson, a University of Denver student who died last month of carbon monoxide poisoning, were in the Senate chamber as the vote was taken.

If the bill passes another vote in the Senate, it could be signed into law within two weeks.

Lawmakers rejected a similar measure last year because they said it was pushed by detector manufacturers.

Support Local Journalism

Some former opponents say they’ve been moved by the deaths of Johnson and four members of a Denver family who died while spending the weekend in an Aspen home.


Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User