Sheriff’s office locks down two schools |

Sheriff’s office locks down two schools

Jane Stebbins

BRECKENRIDGE – Law enforcement put two schools and the Breckenridge Recreation Center on lock-down Monday afternoon after a man holed himself up in a trailer at Kingdom Park Trailer Park threatening to commit suicide.

By about 8 p.m., the individual was put in protective custody at the Summit County Jail, said Sgt. Roxanne Lopez of the Summit County Sheriff’s Office.

Meanwhile, educators released students to school buses or their parents as they arrived to pick them up. Parents had to knock at the schools’ doors.

Kingdom Park sits in an unincorporated area in front of the rec center. More details would be released today, the sergeant said.

Officials at Upper Blue Elementary, Carriage House Preschool and the rec center said police asked them at 3 p.m. to keep students and patrons inside because a man armed with a gun was purported to be in the area.

Police closed Airport Road from Valley Brook Road to North Park Avenue, and told residents in neighboring condominiums to stay inside.

Sheriff’s deputies, SWAT team members and Breckenridge Police Department officers worked the situation.

Summit School District officials said the lock-down was precautionary and that students were not in imminent danger.

Officials at the elementary and preschool locked the doors and only allowed kids to leave with parents or on the bus at the end of the school day.

“It was a little scary,” said Massey Pitts, a parent of two children at Upper Blue Elementary and another at Carriage House. “But I think they handled it really well. Everyone was just trying to keep the kids safe. It was a kind of weird thing to go through, especially in a small town like this.”

Melanie Atkinson, a mother of two boys at Upper Blue Elementary School, agreed.

“It’s just really scary,” she said. “This isn’t Denver; we don’t expect things like this to happen. The kids were really calm about it, but I’m thinking, “What if there’s a stray bullet?'”

There were 82 children in attendance at the Carriage House Monday afternoon, a couple hundred more at Upper Blue Elementary and 15 to 20 patrons at the rec center who had to wait until police said they could leave.

“They told us there was a police situation, so we just took it at that and let them do their job,” said Darren Dybala, assistant supervisor at the recreation center. “We’re trained for it; we’re always prepared, but we’ve never had to deal with it. Anything that’s of a strange nature, we’re ready for it. It’s a good idea, this day and age.”

The rec center staff maintained communication with both the patrons and police and ensured the building was secure.

“Luckily it didn’t involve us, as the rec center,” Dybala said. “They’re did it to maintain public safety.”

Jane Stebbins can be reached at (970) 668-3998, ext. 228, or

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User