Silverthorne municipal election canceled due to lack of candidates
The town of Silverthorne’s April municipal election has been canceled due to a lack of candidates.
The deadline to file candidate petitions was 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28. At that time the town had received three petitions for the three available town council seats and one petition for the mayor’s seat, which will be vacated by Mayor Dave Koop, who is term-limited.
The three candidates who filed petitions for town council include incumbent Derrick Fowler, Silverthorne planning commissioner Peggy Long and Falcon Electric owner Jonathan Bird. Long has served as a council member in the past.
Current council members David Preaus and Dave Anderson were eligible to run in the April election, but opted not to seek a second term. Preaus cited business and family obligations in his decision not to run this year.
“I have three kids and they’re getting to that really fun age in their lives,” he said. “I’m really happy about where the town is going and I’m sad to be leaving because I think the next couple of years are going to be a really exciting time for Silverthorne, but with the economy bouncing back and opportunities to be a volunteer coach to my kids, I just decided it wouldn’t be fair to the citizens if I couldn’t dedicate the time.
“However, another stint on town council is definitely going to be in my future.”
Current Mayor Pro Tem Bruce Butler filed the only candidate petition for the mayor’s seat. In accordance with the town code, all four candidates will be deemed elected on April 1 and sworn into office during the April 9 town council meeting. Each of the candidates will serve four-year terms.
Because of the fear that the upcoming election would not attract enough candidates, Koop said Silverthorne Town Clerk Michele Miller approached the town council last year asking it to consider an ordinance that would allow her to cancel the election, if need be.
“Town council agreed, as we didn’t want to incur the expense of holding an unnecessary election, and given the final number of candidates submitting on Friday, the election will be canceled,” Koop said. “With election expenses approaching $9,000, this was the financially prudent move to make with an uncontested election.
“I congratulate each of the candidates, and I know they will each serve the community well.”
A candidate debate was scheduled for 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, March 10. Now that the election has been canceled, the town will host a community meeting instead.
“Although the outcome of the election has been determined, the candidates have requested that we keep the date originally scheduled for the debate, so they have a chance to meet with the community and discuss community issues prior to taking office,” Miller said.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.