Smoke detector alerts couple to fire |

Smoke detector alerts couple to fire


BLUE RIVER – A Blue River couple awoke to their home filling with smoke earlier this week after their smoke detector sounded at about 10 p.m. on Sunday, according to a press release from the Red, White and Blue Fire District. Kevin Brown, of 61 Tarn Trail, told firefighters that he and his wife made dinner around 6 p.m. that evening, and went to bed at 9 p.m., closing the bedroom door. Shortly before 10 p.m., they were awakened by a smoke detector sounding outside of their bedroom. When they opened the door to investigate, they noticed smoke in the hallway and followed it to the kitchen, where they saw heavier smoke and flames.Brown attempted to put out the fire with water, but called 911 when the flames reached up over the hood of the stove and near the cabinets. He then grabbed a fire extinguisher and was able to smother the fire. Firefighters verified that there was no further extension of fire in the house, walls or attic space.The fire appears to be accidental and was started when a plastic cutting board was placed on a gas stove and smoldered for a few hours before igniting. The homeowners mistakenly thought they had turned the stove off; instead it was turned to low.”A critical factor in the positive outcome of this unfortunate situation is that the homeowners had working smoke detectors,” said Battalion Chief Mike Rutherford. “The smoke detectors woke the occupants and gave them an opportunity to not only keep themselves safe, but also to help prevent further damage to their house.”Red, White & Blue urges all homeowners and renters to check their smoke detectors monthly and change the batteries twice a year. Residents are encouraged to also make sure their house addresses are visible from the road and, if possible, meet the firefighters upon their arrival.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User