Avalanche, Forsberg agree on deal
February 25, 2008
DENVER – The Avalanche and Peter Forsberg have agreed on a deal to bring the NHL’s 2003 MVP back to Colorado through the end of the season.Forsberg will earn about $1.1 million prorated from a one-year, $5 million deal, since there are about six weeks left in the regular season.Forsberg won two Stanley Cups in his nine seasons with the Avalanche and won the Hart Trophy in 2003 after scoring 29 goals and adding 77 assists.
But foot and ankle injuries have plagued him in recent years.Until Monday’s announcement, it appeared Forsberg wouldn’t return to an NHL team this season. His agent, Don Baizley, informed teams last week that Forsberg didn’t have enough confidence in the strength of his surgically repaired right foot to play.The Avalanche were one of a handful of teams vying for Forsberg’s services. Philadelphia, Minnesota, Chicago and Ottawa were also believed to be in the hunt.Forsberg spent 1 1/2 seasons with the Flyers, scoring 115 points in 100 games, before being dealt to Nashville at the trade deadline last season.
“We’re proud to announce to our fans that Peter Forsberg has decided to come back and play with our franchise where he’s enjoyed so much success early in his career,” Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere said.”His addition should complement our roster and will bring our team to an even higher competitive level,” he said.Forsberg said he has worked “extremely hard” to arrange his return to Colorado.”I am looking forward to putting this jersey on again,” he said. “I have so many great memories of my playing days in Denver. I’m excited about helping my new teammates and former teammates in the coming weeks, and hopefully I am able to do that in the very near future.”
Forsberg has been rehabilitating in Sweden and practicing with his hometown club, Modo.He is fourth on Colorado’s career scoring list with 741 points in 580 career games.Forsberg also helped lead Sweden to Olympic gold medals in Lillehammer in 1994 and Turin in 2006.
Trending In: Sports
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Summit High boys soccer blasts Palisade; two Tigers golfers shoot below 80 at regional
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs