Breckenridge freeskier Duncan Adams honored by fans
April 15, 2009
After an outstanding season, Breckenridge freeskier Duncan Adams has been announced as a Ball Park Alpha Dawg champion of the first ever Winter Dew Tour. The inaugural Winter Dew Tour ” a three-stop, multi-sport event that has been featured on many TV stations including NBC Sports, MTV and MTV2 ” has crowned three Alpha Dawgs, with each young athlete taking home $5,000.
A Ball Park Alpha Dawg is an up-and-coming winter athlete voted on by fans, with the winners gaining prominence as they make a name for themselves in their sport.
The 16-year-old Adams, who is rising quickly as a professional freeskier, competed at all three events of the 2008-09 Winter Dew Tour, including a stop in his hometown at Breckenridge Ski Resort in December, where he began his competitive season with a third-place finish.
Though that was arguably his best result of the winter, Adams also had a sixth-place finish at the Dew Tour’s second event at Mount Snow in West Dover, Vt. He then finished 16th in the Tour’s finale in Lake Tahoe, which was good enough to earn him a fourth-place finish in the overall Dew Tour freeski halfpipe standings. He finished behind only Tanner Hall, Simon Dumont and Justin Dorey.
Adams also finished sixth in the U.S. Freeskiing Open held at Copper Mountain Resort in February, as well as finishing sixth in the pipe at the X Games in Aspen.
To be eligible for the award, all athletes must be under 18, have been a pro for less than two years and competed at all three stops of the Winter Dew Tour.
Recommended Stories For You
Voting began on Feb. 23, the day after the inaugural Winter Dew Tour season ended. Fans voted at allisports.com and the award was given to the top three vote getters among eligible athletes
Trending In: Sports
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Breckenridge Film Fest features ‘Afghan Cycles’ documentary, other outdoor-related films
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Williams Sonoma outlet coming to Silverthorne this fall
- A nationally known champion of Native American art, Nancy Blomberg loved Breckenridge’s landscape
- Frisco child pornography trial hinges on disturbing images, chain of custody for digital evidence