Breckenridge Vipers hockey wins season-opener 5-4 versus Pikes Peak, host Vail Saturday
November 20, 2018
It's an ideal start to the 2018-19 Mountain West Hockey League season for the Breckenridge Vipers, as the Vipers defeated the Pikes Peak Vigilantes of Denver on Saturday night by a final score of 5-4.
At the Vipers' season-opening celebration at Stephen C. West Ice Arena in Breckenridge, the two teams were knotted up at 2-2 after the first period and traded goals until midway through the third period when Vipers forward Garret Bailey netted the eventual game-winning goal for Breckenridge.
Vipers forward Josh Deloach starred for Breckenridge on the attack, scoring twice, while Vipers forwards Chad Helfer and Braden Johnson also found the back of the net. Breckenridge defenseman Derek Scanlon served up assists on two goals while Breckenridge goaltender J.R. Engelbert stopped 49 of 53 shots in the win, including all 14 shots in the third perod when Pikes Peak tried to rally to tie the game again.
The Vipers are next in action at home this coming Saturday at 8 p.m., when they host their High Country mountain-town rivals and neighbors, the Vail Yeti.
Following the contest on Saturday, the Vipers will return home again on Dec. 7 (7:30 p.m.) and Dec. 8 (8 p.m.) for primetime matchups at Stephen C. West Ice Arena against Boulder.
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Resorts has sold about 925,000 passes of all kinds for this ski season
- Olympic pitch: Maybe it’s Colorado’s time
- U.S. teen sensation Chloe Kim, Australian star Scotty James win at Copper Mountain Grand Prix halfpipe
- With a ‘new shoulder,’ Breckenridge snowboarder Arielle Gold balances halfpipe, school
- Vail Resorts making big investments, improvements for 19/20 season
- Company plans gravel-mining operation in Summit County
- Vail Pass suicide is Summit County’s 11th suicide of the year; officials urge dialogue on crisis
- Colorado’s mom-and-pop ski areas are slipping away
- Parks and Wildlife offers reward for information in illegal killing of elk