Copper Mountain changes opening day to Nov. 18, Woodward bash still on for Nov. 12
November 5, 2016
BREAKING: On Nov. 7, Copper announced it needed to delay opening day a final time to Nov. 18 before the annual U.S. Ski Team presentation. Read on for details about the new opening day and presentation on the same weekend.
For the first time in recent memory, the three largest ski areas in Summit County are opening on the same day. Breckenridge Ski Resort, Copper Mountain Resort and Keystone Resort all open at 9 a.m. on Nov. 11, which hopefully means crowds will be minimal at most.
If you're heading to Copper, be ready for the annual Welcome Home Weekend celebration. The first official chair of the 2016-17 season will spin at 9 a.m. on the American Eagle chairlift, but the entire weekend is jam-packed with winter fun, according to a release from the resort.
Welcome Home Weekend festivities start at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, with the First Chair Celebration. Guests have the chance to win first chair of the season and a new GoPro Hero 5 by sharing how they have been "Raised on Colorado." (For more information and to enter the contest, please visit Copper Mountain's Facebook page.) The first in line will also be welcomed with free hot chocolate and donuts, surprise giveaways and music from DJ PhatM4tt. Stop by Endo's Adrenaline Café between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. for craft beer, artisan cocktails and an acoustic set from Beau Thomas. All are invited to the Welcome Home Party at Jack's Bar and Grill beginning at 1:30 p.m. Merriments include live music and food and beverage specials.
On Saturday, Nov. 12, Burning Stones Plaza will be buzzing with music from DJ Landry, kid's activities and a mini rail jam. In the afternoon, the scene at Copper Après will feature Colorado bands, drink specials and giant outdoor games all afternoon. Sign up for the Copper Cornhole Tournament in West Lake Alley, beginning at 1:30 p.m. Prizes include Copper four-packs, gift cards and Under Armour swag. Check out all the Woodward Barn has to offer at the Woodward Barn Bash from 2-8 p.m. Free intro, drop in, and skate or BMX sessions will be available, along with live music, pro demos and more. Colorado's own DOWN2FUNK will put on their funk hip-hop show from 5:30-7:30 p.m., with Union and Videograss Movie Premiers both airing at 7:30 p.m.
The following weekend on Saturday, Nov. 19, Copper will host the NASTAR Pacesetting event. Olympic gold medalist Ted Ligety and other members of the U.S. Ski Team will set the pace for NASTAR courses around the nation. Check out the action on hill, and then get up close and personal with the team at a meet-and-greet session in East Village.
Trending In: Sports
- Podcast: Breckenridge’s ‘Doc PJ’ chats Saturday’s Imperial Challenge ‘pseduo-triathlon’
- As Major League Rugby launches, Frisco’s Connor Cook describes the journey to become a pro athlete
- Breckenridge to have 1K acres of skiable terrain through Sunday, most all on Peak 8
- Cannabis for your workout: Four cannabis connoisseurs dish on their preferred strains when recreating
- King of the hill retires after 45 years with Aspen Skiing Co.
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Summit County real estate sales slow down in March
- Pet owners turn to CBD treatments for ailing dogs as research on the subject takes shape