CPW to host Sept. 22 Heeney meeting on future of Green Mountain Reservoir
August 25, 2018
Colorado Parks and Wildlife will come to the Lower Blue Community Center in Heeney next month for a public information meeting concerning the condition of Green Mountain Reservoir.
CPW aquatic biologist Jon Ewert out of Hot Sulphur Springs is scheduled to be in attendance at the meeting, currently slated for Saturday, Sept. 22 at 1 p.m.
Potential topics to be discussed include:
The plan to eradicate northern pike from the fishery; the presence of gill lice, a naturally occurring phenomena which is depleting the salmon population; the possibility of the reservoir being infected with the quagga mussel and zebra mussel; and the potential of milfoil, an invasive aquatic plant found in other water systems.
In an email sent out to Heeney residents, Heeney local Mark Eatherton said the above situations, especially the mussel and milfoil problems, could result in the eventual closure of the reservoir for recreational purposes.
"The fishery appears to have suffered significantly from the introduction of the northern pike," Eatherton wrote, "with many long time fishermen claiming reductions in trout fish catches of 90 percent and more."
Recommended Stories For You
Eatherton added that the U.S. Forest Service's realty specialist Anna Bengston and Dillon District recreation staff officer Jim Fiorelli will be in attendance. The forest service has offered to acquire local feedback about the issues surrounding unauthorized use of docks at the reservoir as well as long-term plans for managing boaters' access to the lake. A discussion about local wildlife with a CPW representative may also take place.
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge cyclist Taylor Shelden wins Ullr fat bike race
- Free ski clinics to kick off next month’s Summit County 50+ Winter Games
- Frisco invites Summit County community to celebrate ‘Team Frisco’
- Silverthorne snowboarder Chris Corning podiums at Austria World Cup slopestyle
- Colorado Mountain College Leadville to host Colorado Cup races Jan. 26
- Suspect in custody after officer-involved shooting near Whole Foods in Frisco
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting in Frisco Monday night
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Backcountry skier died Sunday on Quandary Peak