Glendale Raptors play first-ever Major League Rugby match Saturday; Full season schedule
April 20, 2018
Looking for a chance to cheer on a hometown kid as part of a start-up professional sports league?
Frisco native Connor Cook, 27, is part of the Glendale Raptors professional rugby team, a greater-Denver founding-member franchise for Major League Rugby.
On Saturday, the Raptors will kick off the first games in Major League Rugby history, versus Austin Elite Rugby.
"We've become more resilient during a long, successful preseason," Raptors head coach David Williams said. "But real tests are the in-season games. We want to start strong and show our confidence in front of our home crowd."
The upstart league has partnered with CBS Sports Network, which will broadcast the game of the week, including Saturday's contest, while AT&T Sports and Cox Communications will broadcast non-game of the week matches.
Kicking off on Saturday at Infinity Park, the inaugural season of Major League Rugby will run 10 weeks, with semifinals June 30 and a championship match July 7.
Recommended Stories For You
"Two years ago we were all dreaming about this," said Austin Elite Rugby general manager Thierry Daupin, "and now we're excited to be playing in the MLR season opener against Glendale."
Season and single-game tickets are available for purchase online at GlendaleRaptors.com, and can also be purchased at Infinity Park starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Glendale Raptors season schedule
(All home games at Infinity Park in Glendale)
Saturday, April 21 — vs. Austin Elite, 3 p.m. MST
Saturday, April 28 — at Seattle Seawolves, 8:30 p.m. MST
Saturday, May 5 — at Utah Warriors, 1:30 p.m. MST
Sunday, May 13 — vs. San Diego Legion, 6 p.m. MST
Sunday, June 3 — at NOLA Gold, 2 p.m. MST
Friday, June 8 — vs. Houston SaberCats, 7 p.m. MST
Saturday, June 16 — vs. Seattle Seawolves, 7 p.m. MST
Saturrday, June 23 — at San Diego Legion, 8 p.m. MST
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge cyclist Taylor Shelden wins Ullr fat bike race
- Free ski clinics to kick off next month’s Summit County 50+ Winter Games
- Frisco invites Summit County community to celebrate ‘Team Frisco’
- Silverthorne snowboarder Chris Corning podiums at Austria World Cup slopestyle
- Colorado Mountain College Leadville to host Colorado Cup races Jan. 26
- Suspect in custody after officer-involved shooting near Whole Foods in Frisco
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting in Frisco Monday night
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Backcountry skier died Sunday on Quandary Peak