Glendale Raptors play first-ever Major League Rugby match Saturday; Full season schedule
April 20, 2018
Looking for a chance to cheer on a hometown kid as part of a start-up professional sports league?
Frisco native Connor Cook, 27, is part of the Glendale Raptors professional rugby team, a greater-Denver founding-member franchise for Major League Rugby.
On Saturday, the Raptors will kick off the first games in Major League Rugby history, versus Austin Elite Rugby.
"We've become more resilient during a long, successful preseason," Raptors head coach David Williams said. "But real tests are the in-season games. We want to start strong and show our confidence in front of our home crowd."
The upstart league has partnered with CBS Sports Network, which will broadcast the game of the week, including Saturday's contest, while AT&T Sports and Cox Communications will broadcast non-game of the week matches.
Kicking off on Saturday at Infinity Park, the inaugural season of Major League Rugby will run 10 weeks, with semifinals June 30 and a championship match July 7.
Recommended Stories For You
"Two years ago we were all dreaming about this," said Austin Elite Rugby general manager Thierry Daupin, "and now we're excited to be playing in the MLR season opener against Glendale."
Season and single-game tickets are available for purchase online at GlendaleRaptors.com, and can also be purchased at Infinity Park starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Glendale Raptors season schedule
(All home games at Infinity Park in Glendale)
Saturday, April 21 — vs. Austin Elite, 3 p.m. MST
Saturday, April 28 — at Seattle Seawolves, 8:30 p.m. MST
Saturday, May 5 — at Utah Warriors, 1:30 p.m. MST
Sunday, May 13 — vs. San Diego Legion, 6 p.m. MST
Sunday, June 3 — at NOLA Gold, 2 p.m. MST
Friday, June 8 — vs. Houston SaberCats, 7 p.m. MST
Saturday, June 16 — vs. Seattle Seawolves, 7 p.m. MST
Saturrday, June 23 — at San Diego Legion, 8 p.m. MST
Trending In: Sports
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Breckenridge Film Fest features ‘Afghan Cycles’ documentary, other outdoor-related films
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- A nationally known champion of Native American art, Nancy Blomberg loved Breckenridge’s landscape
- Williams Sonoma outlet coming to Silverthorne this fall
- Frisco child pornography trial hinges on disturbing images, chain of custody for digital evidence