Harrell, Team Breck have big weeks in Steamboat
January 12, 2011
Kaitlyn Harrell had just one thing in mind as she took to the mogul course set up on Steamboat Springs’ famed Voodoo trail last weekend.
“I don’t care if I come in last place, I’m going to throw the flip,” she said, according to her coach John Dowling.
Well, last place wasn’t something Harrell had to worry about – or ever does. The 13-year-old Summit County “phenom,” as Dowling called her, has plowed through her competition all season.
Steamboat’s Rocky Mountain Division mogul competition was no different.
She nailed her flip and earned the highest turn scores of any skier, regardless of age, in the singles competition Saturday. She finished third overall in that event and was fifth in duals on Sunday, while easily winning her J3 age division in both.
It was just one of the highlights for the Team Breck moguls squad in the three-day event. The team took to the course Friday and Saturday in single moguls competitions, with the duals events taking place on Sunday.
Recommended Stories For You
And there were plenty of podium finishes for the local skiers.
On the girls’ side, Kira Wright was fourth and 11th overall in the two singles comps. She was third in her J1 category on Saturday and narrowly missed out on setting a personal best score. She was ninth in duals.
For the boys’, Dylan Walczyk had a “return to form,” Dowling said. The team’s top J1 skier, Walczyk was third overall Saturday.
Bruce Perry Jr., meanwhile, was third in the hotly contested J2 division. J1 Sean Scanlan finished in the top-20 in both singles events and was ninth in the duals comp.
Also having strong weekends for Team Breck were Lindsey Eckhoff, Alex DeBonville, Trent McCrerey, Bryce Sawheny, Gabe Johnson and Stepan Haltmar.
Trending In: Sports
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on opening day
- ‘To recreate what a contest can be’: Dew Tour superpipe designer describes inspiration behind re-imagined course
- Vail’s Lindsey Vonn says 2018-19 season will be her last
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Summit ski and snowboard stars Gerard, Corning, Brown, Hoerter prep in Switzerland (Video)
- Arapahoe Basin, Loveland ski areas announce opening days for 2018-19 season
- Parking garage talks suggest warming relationship between Breckenridge, Vail Resorts
- Breckenridge OKs $8 million to build town-owned fiber optic network
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job
- Mama bear and her three cubs spend the night in Snowmass building